1. Project Location
The Xepian-Xenamnoy Hydroelectric Power Project is located in the 2 Provinces: Champasak and Attapu on the southern of lao PDR. As part of this 390 Home MW Scheme, one river diversion and two dams shall be constructed across the following three rivers: Houay Makchane, Xe Pian- Xe namnoy. The scheme’s main dam and other major structures will be located in Champasak Province. while the proposed powerhouse, tailrace channel and high voltage transmission line located in Attapu Province In 1995, a feasibility study for this project was already carried out.
2. Project Rationale
the Project is expected to generate 1,879 Gwh per year. The Project will export 90% of the electric power it generates to Thailand under a Power Purchase Agreement between the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and the PNPC, while the remaining 10% will be sold to the local grid under a Power Purchase Agreement between the PNPC and the Electricite du Laos.
The Project will operate and manage the Project during the 27-years Concession Period after the 5-years Construction Period and commencement of commercial operations by 2019. After the expiry of the Concession Period, the PNPC will transfer the Operations and Management of the Project to the Government of Laos.
3. Project History
Joint Development Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). between SK Engineering Construction (SKEC) and Korea Western Power Co.,Ltd (KOWEPO) on the date july 19, 2005. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) With Government of Lao PDR (GOL). on the date August 3, 2006. Foreign Investment Application Submitted to Government of Lao PDR. Memorandum of Understanding between Government of Lao PDR (GOL) and the Consortium SK Engineering Construction (SKEC) and Korea Western Power Co.,Ltd (KOWEPO) Consortium Representative Office in Lao on the date May 25, 2007. Development Cost Sharing SKEC:KOWEPO: RATCH = 34%: 33%:33%.The Feasibility Study Approval From Government of Lao PDR. On the date January 4, 2008. Completion of Project Development Agreement(PDA) Negotiation With GOL On the date February 16, 2008. Presentation to Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) for Technical Aspects on the date May 14, 2008 The Project Development Agreement (PDA) Signed for 18 month on the date November 14, 2008. Proposed Tariff to Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) on the February 20, 2009.